Tuesday, March 26, 2013

Adventure Books

     After reading about the Avalanche at Tunnel Creek I was reminded how much I enjoy reading Adventure stories, real life situations where the people are striving to beat the odds as they scale a mountain or survive some tragedy. I do love happy endings, but there is something poetic and heroic about man's ability to try and overcome and survive.  Yesterday I looked for Adventure Books, books telling tales of real time triumphs and tragedy's of mountain climbing, hiking, and exploring and other adventurous endeavors. Now I have a list and I'm attacking the local used bookstore. I'm hooked, I forgot how much I like real life stories that take you far away to snow drifts on impossibly high mountains. Your adrenalin rushes as you wonder, will they make it? My heart also plummets when they don't, but I pause and realize, at least I gave their triumph or loss a moment of my attention, their life deserved at least our awareness of what they did and risked.

A possible reading list and links:

-Touching The Void by Joe Simpson Amazon- Touching...









Between A Rock and a Hard Place by Aron Ralston Amazon- Between...

The Will to Climb by Ed Viesturs Amazon- The Will...
He also wrote No Shortcuts To The Top, which was great! Amazon- No Shortcuts


Another book on my list is: Buried in The Sky a recounting of 2 Sherpas rescued after a tragedy on K2 Amazon- Buried In...

Lastly, another mountaineer adventurer, a memoir about Anatoli Boukreev (one of the climbers in Into Thin Air by Jon Krakauer) called Above The Clouds Amazon- Above...

I've read Into Thin Air  and loved the book and was moved by it. Any list of Adventure books aught to include it: Amazon: Into Thin...


Well, let's see what I can find....what a choice!




No comments: